Make a properly fitted helmet part of your bike riding experience. A helmet can help protect you and your family from serious injury!
Tips about helmet safety:
Make sure the helmet has been safety certified - look for the sticker on the inside of the helmet.
· Helmets must be replaced every five years and/or after a crash or hard hit - even if it looks undamaged. Never buy a used helmet.
· Do not place stickers on your helmet.
· Parents can set a good example to children by wearing a helmet. Remember, anyone under the age of 18 must wear a helmet – it’s the law
Put on the helmet so that it is not tilting backwards or forward. Then check the following:
1) Two fingers distance from helmet to eyebrow
2) V-shape straps around each ear
3) One finger between chin and fastened strap
For more information visit www.ottawa.ca/health or contact Ottawa Public Health at 613-580-6744.